Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Newspapers see sharp circulation drop of 4.6 pct



There's something old and reassuring about newspapers.

I remember as a child them being there, delivered to your door, often by a young man in the neighborhood. (I was one of those young men for a while. I'd get up early, ride my bicycle to a gas station about a mile away, where a wholesaler would deliver wrapped collections of newspapers. I'd in turn fold the newspapers, stuff them into a basket on the bicycle, and deliver them to some 100 homes).

Those who like newspapers tend to be older. And newspapers know this: watch the content, and it's aimed at an older audience, one likely less computer savvy, less technological.

And paradoxically, as I get older, I have less use for newspapers, while my children have been the ones who demanded that we continue a paper subscription (I had suggested a compromise of buying on-line access to the local publication). My son -- our oldest at 26 -- likes the feel of a paper publication. Et de gustibus non disputandum. But newspapers are not so lucky among most of his -- and our daughters' -- generation.

"NEW YORK (AP) - Circulation at the nation's daily newspapers is falling faster than anticipated this year as readers continue their migration to the Internet and papers narrow their distribution to cut costs."

No comments: