Saturday, December 20, 2008

Pub Grub



From a New York magazine (Dec. 22-29,2008) review of the Wilfie and Nell bar, 228 W. 4th St., NYC):

"One look at the bill of fare taped to the window of Wilfie and Nell and Ms. U.G. -- who reads menus the way Talmudic scholars read the Torah -- was in a tizzy. Here were shepherd's pies and meat pies. Here were fries with malt vinegar. And here were Scotch eggs, which in case you didn't know are hard-boiled eggs wrapped in sausage, then breaded and deep-fried -- or what Ricky Gervais calls 'a delicious and nutritious path to cardiac arrest.'"

(OK, I'm posting this because of the line about Scotch eggs. What a great comment! And BTW, my wife thought the description sounded repulsive, and I thought it sounded appealing, like something I'd like to make, maybe for New Years. But 2 comments of my own: first, the reviewer needs to be more careful. Talmudic scholars study the Talmud, not the Torah. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that. Secondly, "Scotch eggs" is the term normally used, but if it were correct -- I know, somebody remind me it's just a name -- it would be "Scots eggs." "Scotch" is a drink, "Scots" are people or things associated with Scotland. Precision is a wonderful thing).

No comments: