Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Where I was 7 years ago tonight


7 years ago tonight, I had an appointment for work.

It was on the outskirts of Liberty, North Carolina, a small town about 15 miles from my home.

I did my work. I headed back home, and filled my car up with gas.

Why do I remember these mundane details? Because the next day was 9/11. My mind works like that: when a big event happens, I remember a lot of peripheral details around it, too.

A thousand years from now, folks will study the events of 9/11. We lived through them.

I wish 9/11 could have been just another mundane day. I wish it could have been remembered in history for the minor details of the New York City mayoral race.

But it wasn't to be. Be thankful for dull news days. I wish 7 years ago tomorrow morning could have been dull. Remembering the events of that sad day bring sadness, even now.

No comments: