Friday, September 11, 2009

Another previously admired leader falls: this time, Thatcher




This is repulsive news. I'm not surprised that Thatcher wanted it kept secret. "Shame" is the word that comes to mind. I was never surprised that the mealy-mouthed time-server Bush, Sr., expressed no enthusiasm for the freedom that swept eastern Europe and Russia, 1989-1991. But I expected better of Thatcher. I was wrong. It was all an act.

"Two months before the fall of the Berlin Wall, Margaret Thatcher told President Gorbachev that neither Britain nor Western Europe wanted the reunification of Germany and made clear that she wanted the Soviet leader to do what he could to stop it."

1 comment:

Dan @ Necessary Roughness said...

While it's plain to see that a unified Germany now is a good thing, 20 years ago I imagine people still had WWI and WWII fresh in their minds.