Sunday, January 04, 2009
* Oranges were first grown in southern China-- though their name goes back only to India. The word "citrus" is related to "cedar", and reflects an ancient confusion between citrons and cedars.
* The House of Orange is not named for oranges-- the name developed from Latin Arausio.
* In addition to his prophecies, Nostradamus wrote a book on oranges.
* Oranges vary in sweetness depending on where they grow in the tree; the sweetest are on the south outside top of the tree.
* Most Florida orange trees are grafts; their roots are lemon trees.
from Oranges, by John McPhee