Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Which church to join?



I wish I could claim credit for having found this. But I must defer to my friend, colleague, sometime co-belligerent, but always thought-provoking (yeah, I'm using that phrase a lot today) Pastor Weedon, famed Lutheran and white theologian. (If we can name someone as a "black theologian," why not a white one? So there. And if you talk to him, tell him he's too skinny in this picture. Looks like somebody from a Schindler's List reunion. Tell him to go get a pizza).

"There comes a heathen and says, 'I wish to become a Christian, but I know not whom to join: there is much fighting and faction among you, much confusion: which doctrine am I to choose?' How shall we answer him? "Each of you" (says he) "asserts, 'I speak the truth.'" No doubt: this is in our favor. For if we told you to be persuaded by arguments, you might well be perplexed: but if we bid you believe the Scriptures, and these are simple and true, the decision is easy for you. If any agree with the Scriptures, he is the Christian; if any fight against them, he is far from this rule." -- St. John Chrysostom, (Homily 33 in Acts of the Apostles [NPNF1,11:210-11; PG 60.243-44])

No comments: