Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Drug Decriminalization in Portugal

While others growing up in the 1960s and 70s were experimenting with drugs, I was a boring nerd who never tried anything stronger than a Pepsi.

So people are sometimes surprised when the topic comes up and I tell them I'm interested in complete, total, unrestricted legalization of any and all drugs.

Not "decriminalization," not "lessened penalties," and not medical treatments for drug users: just a complete taking drugs and other substances out of any legal, governmental sphere.

Because the "drug wars" (to quote one of Nixon's many mistakes) has been such an utter, unremitting failure. And because it's time to admit that it was all a terrible mistake, and to stop what might be charitably called nonsense.

This is a good article, about drug decriminalization in Portugal in 2001. Decriminalization isn't what I'd like. But it would sure be a good start. I'd be willing to compromise on that.

No comments: