Thursday, March 27, 2008

How to find out about a church body, part 2: if they're really, really far away

I was listening to a report on NPR a couple weeks ago about an Islamic group in Turkey, a decided minority, one having difficulty with the Turkish government. They're Alevi Muslims. And they mentioned that their worship -- unlike most Muslim services, which are positively Protestant-feeling -- felt almost, well, evangelical.

I was curious. I wanted to see one of their services.

Well, suffice it to say that there aren't many Alevis in America. Maybe there are no Alevis in America. But I still wanted to see their service. I mean, this is not a big priority. I am not Muslim, and I will never be a Muslim. So I was not exactly willing to hop a plane to Ankara.

So I did second best. I saw their service on Youtube. But the groups you're interested in aren't that far away. So go visit. You'll find out what you need. Far faster than reading their website.

No comments: